Saturday, November 19, 2005

Peter F. Drucker

A week ago, on Friday November 11th, Peter F. Drucker passed away in his sleep, aged 95. Having published 38 books, Drucker is generally considered the guru's guru and according to BusinessWeek Drucker was "the man who invented management." However, being the business junkie I am, I must admit that I have never read any of Drucker's books. I am not alone in this, though. Tom Peters says he earned two advanced degrees, including a PhD in business, without once studying Drucker or reading a single book written by him.

This week, many of the publications I read dedicate one or more articles to Peter F. Drucker and his legacy. BusinessWeek's cover story is aptly titled "The Man Who Invented Management: Peter Drucker", while The Economist runs a special report, "Trusting the teacher in the grey-flannel suit." Knowledge@Wharton runs a story, "Farewell, Peter Drucker: A Tribute to an Intellectual Giant", wherein various Wharton professors reflect on his legacy and his contribution to management education and Wharton in particular. Having read these articles it is clear to me that the next book I buy has to be one by Peter Drucker. According to Drucker himself, he did his best work early on - in the 1950s, so I think I will start with The Practice of Management, published in 1954.

No comments: