Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Power of Open Put To The Test

Recently I wrote an article (in Dutch) for our company's periodical, Quintessence, on 'The Power of Open'. In this article I introduced readers to the concepts of respectively open source, open standards, open architecture and open innovation. Living up to the saying 'practice what you preach', I plan to run a little test with several open-source applications myself. Instead of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Explorer and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), I will use their open source equivalents Thunderbird, FireFox and OpenOffice. It will be especially interesting to see whether I can collaborate effectively with colleagues and clients who(still) work within a Microsoft environment.

Watch this space for comments on my experiences throughout this test.

Postscript: Given the existing incompatibility issues between Microsoft Office en OpenOffice, I plan to wait until the release of OpenOffice2.0 before commencing with this test.

Postscript 2: It would be fair to say that the test will focus on OpenOffice, as I have been using FireFox for nearly a year already and have tested a beta version of Thunderbird as well.

No comments: